Council has four designated areas to exercise your dog off leash at any time of the day, including swimming areas.
The law requires that your dog must be in close proximity to you and under effective control at all times and that you must dispose of dog poo in a suitable manner. For your convenience Council has provided dog litter bins at the entrance to each of the designated dog off leash areas:
- Dog Exercise Park – 260 Steele Street, Devonport – this is located just off the car park to Splash Devonport Aquatic Centre. Please read our information leaflet(PDF, 647KB) about how to ensure a great experience at the park for both you and your dog.
- Back Beach – this is a smaller beach located to the west of Bluff Beach, on Coles Beach Road. There is a bin containing dog waste bags and a receptacle for used bags at the top of the concrete stairway leading from the car park to the beach
- East Devonport Foreshore – The beach area starting from Wright Street and heading east towards Pardoe and Moorlands Beach and the grassed area from Wright Street to Tarleton Street north of the footpath. The East Devonport walking track is an on-lead area only.
- Shipwreck Beach – The beach is at the end of Wheeler Street through to the breakwater.
In all other Council parks, reserves, East Devonport Beach and Coles Beach dogs are required to be on a lead and under effective control at all times.
- Coles Beach – This beach is the far western end on Coles Beach Road. This beach is signed with the restrictions at the major entrance pathways to the beach. Dogs must be on a lead at all times of the year. Exercising of dogs is not permitted on the beach between 9:00am and 8:00pm from 1 November until 31 March.
- East Devonport Beach – This beach is to the left side at the end of Wright Street. This beach is signed with the restrictions at the major entrance pathways to the beach. Dogs must be on a lead at all times of the year. Exercising of dogs is not permitted on the beach between 9:00am and 8:00pm from 1 November until 31 March.
Please note that dogs (except for guide dogs or assistance animals) are prohibited from all sporting grounds, the Mersey Bluff Precinct and Bluff Beach (below the walkway and the grassed area including the playground and skate park). The walkway connecting these areas is all on lead.
For further information please refer to Council’s Dog Management Policy below.