Your responsibilities as a pet owner
Pets are an important aspect to many parts of the community and as a pet owner you have an obligation to ensure that:
- Only registered breeders are permitted to breed cats
- Any cat given away or sold must be older than 8 weeks old must be de-sexed and microchipped
- All cats over the age of 6 months are to be micro-chipped (from March 2022, all cats over the ages of 4 months are to be microchipped)
- All cats over the age of 6 months are to be de-sexed (from March 2022, all cats over the age of 4 months are to be microchipped)
- Comply with the requirements of the Cat Management Act 2009 and the Cat Management Regulations 2012.
- Please note changes to the Cat Management Act 2009 were made on 1 March 2022.
- All dogs over the age of 6 months are registered
- All dogs over 6 months of age are micro chipped
- The dog receives all necessary care and attention in accordance with good practice, and is supplied with adequate food and shelter
- The dog is kept under effective control at all times
- When walking a dog/s in a built up area the dog is to be on a lead that does not exceed 2 metres
- The dog wears a collar, registration tag and is micro-chipped
- Ensuring that their dog is not causing a nuisance to any other person by
- Persistent or loud barking
- Roaming at large
- Threatening, harassing or attacking any other animal or person
- Chasing vehicles, people or other animals
- Collecting their dogs faeces and disposing of in an appropriate manner when out in public
- Ensuring that their dog is wearing its registration tag. An additional identification tag displaying your contact number on your dog’s collar can assist in your dog being returned to you should your dog become lost.
- Apply for a kennel licence is there are more than two domestic dogs or four working dogs over the age of 6 months on a property
- Comply with the requirements of the Dog Control Act 2000 and the Dog Management Policy.
Should your dog die, is lost or you are no longer the owner of the animal you must notify council within 14 days in writing to advise in the change of circumstances. Should you purchase a dog you are also required to advise council and register the dog within 14 days.