Close this search box.

Planning permits

Tasmanian Planning Scheme

The Tasmanian Planning Scheme controls the use and development within the local government area of Devonport. The planning scheme contains State and local planning provisions which regulate how land can be used and developed.

You may require a planning permit for:

  • Construction and works relating to a dwelling
  • Development of multiple dwellings
  • Subdivision
  • Demolition or relocation
  • Changing the use of the land or a building
  • Setting up a new business or expanding a new business
  • Carrying-out exterior works to a dwelling
  • Installation of signage

In the first instance please contact Council to find out whether you require planning approval for any use or development you might be considering. Council will also give you advice on the information you will need to provide.

Contact a planner

Written advice:

Our planning officers are available by appointment to provide you with planning advice.

To book an appointment please use the below.

Speak to a planner:

Planning permits and applications FAQ

To apply for a Planning Permit you must lodge an application with Council. An application form needs to be filled in and submitted with plans of what is proposed and supporting documentation. 

A checklist of mandatory documents and information required is provided with the application form.  If your application is straightforward and, for example, involves a change of use with little structural alterations to the building, you may not need professional assistance. In many cases though, it is wise to get professional assistance with the application, especially where detailed drawings and/or site analysis is needed.    

Furthermore, payment of the applicable fee will be required prior to assessment of the application commencing.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to talk to Council’s Planning Office.

Planning Application Form

All planning applications require the payment of a fee. The fee depends upon the type and scope of the use or development being proposed. It is recommended that you contact Council’s Planning Office for an accurate calculation of fees for a particular development.

Some applications may require approval from a State Government agency (e.g. Environment Protection Authority). An additional fee may be charged by the State Government in such circumstances.

Planning Fees & Charges 2022-23

Permitted Applications

The Planning Authority is bound to approve a “Permitted” planning permit application.  There is no right of objection by another party for “Permitted” applications.  

Discretionary Applications

‘Discretionary’ planning permit applications must be publicly notified for a 14 day period by:

  • Sending a written notice to all adjoining owners and occupiers;
  • Displaying a notice at the public boundary of the land;
  • Placing an advertisement in The Advocate newspaper; and
  • Making the application available for inspection at Council’s Rooke Street offices.

Details of the application can also be viewed on the Council’s website.

Any person has a right to object to a discretionary application during the 14 day advertising period.

The Planning Authority may either approve a discretionary application with conditions or refuse the application. 

Planning Application Assessment

Your application will be assessed by Council’s Planning and Assessment Team which is a multi-discipline group of professional officers including Town Planners, Engineers, Environmental Health Officers and Permit Authority staff.

Planning Decisions

Planning applications are generally determined by staff under delegated authority. However, if a representation is received or the recommendation is made for the application to be refused the application is determined by Council’s Planning Authority Committee or full the Council. 

The Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993 requires the Planning Authority to determine ‘Permitted’ planning applications within 28 days and ‘Discretionary’ planning applications within 42 days from the date of submission. However, the Planning Authority aims to determine applications sooner than this.

If the Planning Authority requires additional information be provided before it can make a decision the assessment time frame will be halted until this additional information is provided to the satisfaction of the Planning Authority.

Representations must be made in writing. 

Any person has a right to submit a representation (in favour of or against) a discretionary application during the 14 day advertising period.  

Submit an online representation here

Alternatively representations can be mailed, addressed to:

General Manager,
Devonport City Council,
PO Box 604,
Devonport, 7310

or by email to [email protected].

Applicants may appeal the Planning Authority’s decision on a planning application within 14 days after notice of that decision is served on them.  The applicant may appeal either against the decision to refuse an application, or against the conditions imposed on a planning permit.

Any person who has lodged a representation regarding a ‘discretionary’ permit application during the 14 day advertising period may lodge an appeal within 14 days after being served notice of the decision.

Lodging an Appeal

Planning appeals are heard by the Tasmanian Civil & Administrative Tribunal, which is a body established under the State’s planning laws. The Appeal Tribunal is completely independent of the Planning Authority.

The Appeal Tribunal’s contact details are as follows:

Phone: 03 6165 6794
Email: [email protected]
Postal Address: GPO Box 2036, Hobart TAS 7001
Street Address: Level 1, 144-148 Macquarie Street, Hobart

Other useful resources

The Land Information System Tasmania (the LIST) is a whole-of-government online database which  helps you find information about land and property in Tasmania. For more information on the LIST visit

Related resources - Planning forms, fact sheets, and other information