Historic and heritage value
The town of Devonport did not have a major cemetery until the opening of the ‘New General Cemetery’ late in the year 1922. Prior to this, the deceased were interred at one of the three small Torquay burial grounds, the Bluff Cemetery or at either of the two small cemeteries at the Don.
This cemetery is located in the City’s outer precinct and it is the largest of the three cemeteries in this area (the others being St Olave’s and the Congregational Cemetery).
|Closed to further burials except under exclusive existing burial rights
|Title Details/Lot No
|44 Lawrence Drive, Devonport
|Public Open Space Classification
|Sub regional, family/social/recreational
|First Recorded Burial
|1922, Lizzie Taylor
|Number of Recorded Burials
|1743 known – difficult to ascertain due to missing and deterioration of headstones
|Number of Reservations
Council has developed a Master Plan as a guiding document for the development and management of the cemetery that outlines 11 actions to be undertaken to 2031.