Close this search box.

Road Closure Permits

Current Approved Road Closure Permits

This is a complete list of current and planned road closures. To find out more information, click on the title of the road closures below.

Guide to applicants when applying for a Road Closure

The following guide is a reference summary for consideration when planning for a road closure planning and to assist with the application process.

Note: The Application Form must be submitted at least THREE WEEKS prior to your proposed event.  

Read through the following guidelines and fill out the online Road Closure Application form.

Road Closure Requirements and Guidelines

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) with all signage marked and listed (i.e. Road Closed Ahead, Detour and any other signage where appropriate) must be designed and approved by a person qualified to do Traffic Management Plans.

If you are requesting access to, or closure of a car park, for your event please make sure you nominate the car park in the application form.

You must arrange for the nominated road signage in accordance with AS 1742.3 and detailed in the TMP to be available. The installation and removal of traffic control signage must only be undertaken by suitably qualified persons. You may need to contact an appropriate road signage company to supply, install and remove the signs.

Council will notify essential services of the road closure once the application has been approved.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to notify residents and businesses in the vicinity of the road closure prior to the event being held.  This will be done by a letterbox drop at least two weeks prior to the event.  A copy of the letter distributed must be provided to Council for Council approval prior to being distributed.  You are required to personally visit affected businesses to discuss the event.

It is a legal requirement that the road closure be advertised in the local press at least five days prior to the actual closure.

If you intend to advertise your own road closure, Council will require proof of the advertisement being placed.

By agreement Council can place the advertisement on behalf your organisation; however, Council will invoice your organisation to recover the cost of the advertisement. Failure to advertise the road closure, will result in the permnit being withdrawn by Council.

Under Section 49AB of the Police Offences Act 1935 certain activties require a police permit prior to applying for a Council permit.

This includes a:

  • Demonstration;
  • Fundraising drive;
  • Procession;
  • Road cycle race;
  • Road cycle event.

Contact Tasmania Police for more information.