Parking Patrols & Fines in Devonport
If you break the road rules or stay too long in a parking spot, you are causing inconvenience to other motorists and you may be fined. Council’s Parking Officers regularly patrol Devonport streets and car parks and have the authority to ensure compliance with the Australian road rules and Council by-laws.
Motorists found to be in breach of the Australian road rules or Car Parking By-Law will be issued with a parking infringement notice. It will either be left on your vehicle or sent to you by mail.
Parking Meter and Car Park Infringements
The penalty amounts are set under the Devonport City Council in reference to the . As of 01/07/2019 one penalty unit equals $168, so the amount payable of .55 of the set Penalty Unit under the Act is $92.
This is discounted if paid within certain times, so within 14 days of the initial infringement the amount payable is $26. After a further 14 days the amount increases to $45 and after a further 14 days the amount payable is the full amount of $92.
These penalty amounts are set by the regulations under the . When we receive an infringement notice we 28 days to do one of the following 4 options:-
· Pay within the prescribed times;
· Apply for a payment plan;
· Lodge a notice of election for a court hearing.
If you don’t do any of these things after 28 days you will be taken to be convicted of the offence set out in the infringement notice and the monetary penalty may be enforced under the .
How long do I have to pay a parking fine?
The parking fine cost increases after 14 days and after a further 14 days increases again. Please note the time and costs listed on the back of the parking fine. You have 28 days to finalise the matter and ensure no further action is taken against you.
How do I pay a fine?
· In Person at the paranaple centre at 137 Rooke Street, Devonport.
· By Cheque or money order payable to “Devonport City Council” PO Box 604 Devonport TAS 7310.
· Payment Hotline 1300 886 451 Biller Code 34066, your infringement number is your reference number.
· BPAY – Biller Code 34066, your infringement number is your reference number.