Discover Devonports nautical history
Explore the Bass Strait Maritime Centre and discover Devonport’s local history as well as stories and events of Bass Strait, the infamous stretch of water between mainland Australia and the island state of Tasmania.
- Learn about the Strait’s natural history, European exploration, shipwrecks, settlement and trade.
- Take the Helm and captain a 1910s steamer into the Mersey River or through the heads of Port Phillip Bay. Test your skills on this simulated experience and face some of the challenges of Bass Strait sailing … without getting wet! (COVID restrictions apply).
- Explore Devonport’s early history since the 1840s and into today.
- Located adjacent to the ocean at the Bass Strait Maritime Centre, Marion Storm is about enjoying the flavours of the sea with minimal intervention, in a relaxed coastal setting.
- Marion Storm offers superb coffee, light lunches and share plates, a fully licensed beverage selection, as well as fresh Tasmanian seafood. The cafe is open from 9am til 4pm daily.