The Junction – Devonport’s dedicated Youth Space
The Junction is a one stop shop for young people (12 – 24yrs) from Devonport and surrounds. Our aim is to build resilience in young people and help build a healthier community.
Youth, Family and Community Connections (YFCC) coordinate The Junction, 64 Stewart Street in Devonport. YFCC are in a partnership with Devonport City Council to provide increased recreation and services to the region’s youth.
YFCC’s youth programs are at no cost and suitable for young people aged 12-24yrs. Their purpose is to create the conditions for a community that is resilient, inclusive and engaged. YFCC’s partnership with DCC support the delivery of:
· Arvos at the Junction: Tuesdays 3-5pm (during term). This drop in youth program is free for young people aged 11 – 17 years and includes casual activities, food and fun.
· School Holiday Program: for young people aged 11-17 years and may include art workshops, skate competitions and trips to destinations like Wing’s Wildlife Park
· No Wrong Door Young people seeking information, support or services are encourage to call or drop into the Junction where our team will take the time to understand your needs and help identify the best service or program for you.
Additional YFCC programs and services for young people in Northwest Tasmania include:
· Drug and Alcohol Counselling
· Crisis Accommodation Support Service
· Transitional Accommodation Support Service
· Health Promotion workshops in schools and colleges
· Washing and Shower Facilities
· Share the Dignity Resources
· Transition to Employment programs
· Cooking Skills Program
· Family Support Services
YFCC collaborate with other services to address gaps or challenges for Devonport’s youth and advocate for/with young people. The Junction is also accessed by other services offering support to young people including Working it Out.
The Junction HUB
A unique service that works with young people to help them identify the areas where they want help or support and then acts as a conduit into those services. The Junction is kept relevant by a youth steering group which is always seeking new members.
- Contact: 6424 7353 or drop in!
- Come in : Wednesday afternoon activities 3-5pm
- Find out about other activities: follow us on Facebook
Youth Alcohol & Drug Service
This service offers support, counselling and information to individuals and their families to help them overcome drug and alcohol problems.
The Service also provides education sessions and capacity building/ resilience programs in schools so young people can make informed choices about issues that affect their health and well-being.
- Contact: 6424 7353
- Come in: Intake on Tuesdays
- Find out about other activities: www.yfcc.com.au
The Junction is also accessed by a broad range of other services offering young people support in the areas of sexual health, disabilities, education, employment and legal matters to list just a few.
Youth Mental Health
Level 1, 33-35 Steele Street, Devonport
The National youth mental health initiative offers counselling, intervention and support to young people (12-24yrs) who are experiencing mental health issues.
- Contact: 6424 2144
- Find out about other activities: www.headspace.org.au
Need to talk to someone before your appointment? There are a number of services you can talk to.
Eheadspace 1800 650 890
Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
Life Line 13 11 14
Devonport Youth Advisory Group
DEVYAG is an advisory committee whose role is to represent the voice of young people aged between 14 and 18 years who live, work, study and/or socialise in the Devonport Local Government Area
DEVYAG members include: Don College: Talia Beswick, Joel Badcock and Jet Spicer, St Brendan Shaw College: Will Jeeves, Michael Hartree and Srishti Namoa; Reece High School: Nikki Howard, Elliott Goodwin, Isaiah Compagne, Maya Bramich and Annabel Leary-Burke; Devonport High School: Amos Roberts, Jingjie Zheng, Charlie Williams and Lachlan Riley.
For more information on DEVYAG, please contact Devonport City Council at [email protected]