Close this search box.

Reporting Litter & Illegal Dumping

We all want to see Devonport’s environment free from harmful and unpleasant pollution. 

Illegal Dumping & Littering

Littering and the dumping of goods, including building supplies and garden waste, is illegal. The most common type of litter in Australia is cigarette butts which take up to five years to break down.

Please ensure all litter is placed in a bin and materials not suitable for disposal in a bin are taken to Waste Transfer Station or another suitable facility.

Fines apply in Tasmania for illegal dumping and littering in accordance with the Litter Act 2007, including:

  • Illegal dumping of waste and garbage in the bush or on public property
  • Littering from a vessel or motor vehicle

Report Littering to Council

You can help by reporting litter, pollution and graffiti.

Devonport City Council enforces littering and pollution requirements in accordance with Litter Act 2007 and the  Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994.

It is an offence to deposit litter on public land or on private land that you are not the owner of. It is also an offence to deposit a pollutant in such a way that it is or is likely to cause environmental nuisance or harm. The Council has the power to take enforcement action (including issuing financial penalties) against anyone who contravenes these requirements.

Environmentally relevant activities can be regulated by either local councils or the EPA, depending on the scale or size of the activity.

Smaller scale activities (called “Level 1 Activities”) under the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 are regulated by local councils. When activities are conducted on a larger scale (and become “Level 2 Activities” under the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994) the EPA takes over the regulatory role. A full list of Level 2 Activities can be found here.

Requirement to Notify a Pollution Incident

Pollution incidents that threaten or cause material harm to the environment are to be notified to the  EPA. Reports can be made here or the Pollution Incidents Response Hotline on 1800 005 171.

For further information or advice you can contact Council’s Environmental Health team on (03) 6424 0511.

If you wish to report an abandoned vehicle, please contact Tasmania Police (131 444) with the relevant details such as location, vehicle type and Registration number as well as the approximate length of time the vehicle has been in the same position. 

If Tasmania Police deem the vehicle to be abandoned, they will forward the relevant details to Council or the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER) for the vehicle to be removed. 

Please report abandoned shopping trolleys to Trolley Trackers on 1800 641 497 or go to: