A ‘Recognition of Civic Service Award’ can be bestowed upon a person who has demonstrated over a period of time a commitment for the betterment of the community. The eligibility criteria for the Award are as follows:
- Nominees being a resident of the City for a minimum period of approximately fifteen years.
- A minimum time lapse of one year prior to the acceptance of a nomination for a person who has retired or left the civic service.
- Nominations for potential recipients shall be submitted by members of Council and shall be considered within the “Confidential” section of a Council Meeting and require a unanimous vote.
- Nominations from the public or staff must be registered with the General Manager.
- Consideration of a nomination and approval for recognition of a Civic Service Award is to be made by a special panel comprising of the Mayor, General Manager of the day and three selected members of the community.
The integrity of any nominee must be beyond reproach.
Mr Chris Binks and Mr John (Jack) Benson were bestowed this award in 2016 and 2011 respectively for their contributions to the City.