Historic and heritage value
St Olave’s Anglican Church was built in 1877 in the centre of the old settlement and was later relocated, by a team of bullocks, to its present location in 1901. The ground around the church was immediately used as a burial ground, with the first known burial being Irene Cole (aged 9 months) on 10 January 1902. In 1960 a decision was made by the Devonport Parish to restore the building. It remains in a good condition with some headstones still remaining in the surrounding burial ground.
This is the smallest of the cemeteries located in the city’s outer precinct.
|Status||Closed to further burials except under existing exclusive burial rights|
|Local/State/National Significance||Permanently Registered/Tasmanian Heritage Register|
|Title Details/Lot No/Heritage Register Ref|| Title 124726/2 Property ID 6347515
Title 124726/1 Property ID 6347515
|Address||200 Stony Rise Road, Devonport|
|Public Open Space Classification||Sub regional, family/social/recreational|
|First Recorded Burial||1902, Irene Cole|
|Number of Recorded Burials||Unknown – difficult to ascertain due to missing and deterioration of headstones|
|Number of Reservations||Nil|
|Denominations/parish||Heritage Trustees of the Diocese of Tasmania|