Devonport City Council will again be working with a number of local organisations to celebrate Seniors Week within the Devonport area, with a jam-packed calendar of events during Seniors Week, 11 – 17 October.
The calendar offers a wide range of events and activities designed specifically to be low cost and to cater for diverse interests. Events will be COVID safe, and some will require advance booking and payment, whilst many others are free of charge and require no bookings.
Organisations hosting events and activities include:
- Devonport Regional Gallery and Arts & Health Films – will be screening Moving Story on the Market Square TV – short documentaries with people living with dementia who are transitioning to permanent full-time care
- North West Film Society – will be screening the film ‘Cousins’ free for seniors
- Senior Citizens Club – ‘Best Night Out in the Day Time’
- Hearing Australia – free hearing checks
- Devonport Online – app help, converting old media, tablet basics
- Family Based Care – how to register with My Aged Care
- Devonport Community House – eating with friends
- Care Forward – Open Day
- Mersey Community Care – day trips
The full program of events can be downloaded from Council’s website.
Copies of the calendar are also available from Council’s Customer Service Counter (level 2, paranaple centre, 137 Rooke Street) and the Bass Strait Maritime Centre (6 Gloucester Ave), along with the COTA Seniors Week booklet.
Also happening in October is the 50 years plus ratepayers’ luncheon – for community members who have paid rates in Devonport for 50 years or more. The luncheon will be held Monday, 11 October, 12:00pm-1:30pm in the paranaple convention centre. Bookings are essential. Please register by Monday 4 October by sending an email to [email protected] or calling 64240511.
For more information please contact Community Services at Devonport City Council on 6424 0511.
Image: ‘Knots to Know’ at the BSMC, Seniors Week 2019.