Food safety and hygiene is an important regulatory function of Council. Devonport City Council is committed to ensuring that businesses that prepare and have foods for public sale and consumption meet the requirements of the Food Act 2003 and all appropriate State and National standards and legislation.
The types of food you handle and where the food will be sold from determine what requirements you must meet under the Food Act 2003.
All food business operators must do one of the following:
- Notify their food handling activities to the Council; or
- Register their food handling activities with the Council.
Notification of a Food Business
Businesses who are required to notify their activities to the Council must complete a food business notification form(PDF, 156KB).
There is no charge for notification, however the appropriate paperwork must be filled in and approved by Devonport City Council before trading may commence.
Registration of a Food Business
Devonport City Council offers three types of food business registration, depending on the nature of your food business:
- Standard Food Business Registration This type of registration applies to cafes, restaurants, takeaway shops, supermarkets, school and sporting club canteens, B&Bs, catering activities, home occupations and other similar businesses. The registration period runs from 1 July to 30 June, with annual fees based on Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges(PDF, 267KB). An application for this type of registration can be made by completing the Food Business Registration Application Form(PDF, 118KB).
- Mobile Food Van Registration (valid state-wide) This type of registration is for businesses that operate from a food van, truck, caravan, trailer, cart, or similar structure. The registration period runs from 1 July to 30 June, with annual fees based on Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges(PDF, 267KB). An application for this type of registration can be made by completing the Food Business Registration Application Form(PDF, 118KB). You will also need to comply with the Guidelines for Mobile Food Businesses https://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/208570/Guidelines_for_Mobile_Food_Businesses_Dec_2015.pdf
- Mobile Food Stall Registration (valid state-wide, unless conditions of registration state otherwise) This type of registration is for people who wish to sell foods from a temporary structure like a tent, booth, table or similar. Examples of such businesses include sausage sizzles and cake stalls. Council offers 1 day, 2-4 days, 6-month and 12-month registrations for mobile food stalls. The term of registration runs from the date the registration is issued to the nominated expiry date, with fees based on Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges(PDF, 267KB). Registered charities may receive Mobile Food Stall Registration for free. An application for this type of registration can be made by completing the Mobile Food Stall Registration form(PDF, 122KB).