Everything You Need to Know About Holding a Public EventWell managed community-based events are an important part of our cultural calendar. They promote community pride and spirit, bring people together in an atmosphere of fun, and attract visitors to the region. Whether you have had previous experience in planning events or are a complete novice, our Event Management Guide has been developed to assist you plan a small to medium sized event that is relevant to your community, safe, and with minimal problems. Council supports community based events by providing information, advice and access to a range of resources, including an annual community grants program.
When planning a community event, the following process should be followed:
- Read the Event Management Guide to ascertain what will be involved.
- Discuss your idea with others to gain support, and to put together a working group or committee.
- Decide on some of the basic structures of your event, and how you intend to fund it.
- Proceed through your planning, obtaining the necessary permissions.
- At least one month prior to the event, download and submit an Event Application Pack or alternatively complete the pack
The Event Management Guide is a practical reference and source of ideas. It is not meant to provide exhaustive information, and should be used in conjunction with the Devonport City Council Event Application Pack.
Some of the ways Council can support Community driven events are:
- Inclusion of your event on our online Calendar of Events – What’s On Devonport!.
- Inclusion in our What’s On poster, which is available at our Visitor Information Centre and is posted outside the Devonport Entertainment and Centre.
- Social media promotion via the Devonport Events Facebook page.
- Financial Assistance Scheme: Major, Minor and In Kind Assistance Grants are available.