The park was opened by Henry Hector McFie 20 January 1927. The park was named in tribute to Queen Mary (queen at the time).
Adjacent to the Devonport Fire Station, it was the original site of William Chapman’s house. The house was moved when land was needed to extend the railway from Devonport to Ulverstone.
William Chapman was a Devonport Harbour Master and pilot. William arrived at Torquay (now known as East Devonport) in 1855. With his sons, operated a barge service, punting goods from various reaches of the Mersey to larger ships waiting near Torquay.
Henry Hector McFie was married to Hannah Elizabeth Chapman, one of the seventeen children of William Chapman.