Close this search box.

If your home is not connected to the TasWater sewage system you will have some type of on-site sewage management system on the property.

These systems store, treat and dispose of household waste water. They must be approved and inspected by Council.

  • Septic tank
  • Aerated wastewater treatment system
  • Holding tank with pump out
  • Wet composting toilet
  • Re-circulating sand filter system
  • Grey water treatment system
  • Cesspit
  • Pan
  • Waterless composting system
  • Septic closet
  • Any other activity for disposing of sewage

Problems with your system

If you have any problems with your onsite sewage management system, read our troubleshooting guide first. It might help you identify the issue.

Septic Tanks

If you are planning on building on land that is not supplied with a reticulated sewerage system you will need to apply for a Plumbing Permit to demonstrate how you are going to treat your waste water.  Plumbing Permits are a requirement under the Building Act 2016 and the Building Regulations 2016 and therefore councils Environmental Health Officers undertake the assessment all developments which involve on-site wastewater management systems (i.e. septic tanks).

A Plumbing Permit is needed in a number of circumstances such as:

  • the installation of an on-site wastewater management system in accordance with AS/NZS 1547 on-site domestic-wastewater management
  • drainage from a swimming pool
  • the use of a product that does not comply with the Plumbing Code Australia in a building of architectural or historical interest

All proposed on-site waste water systems are required to be approved by Workplace Standards.

On-site disposal systems must be maintained according to the Plumbing Permit. To obtain a Plumbing Permit you must make application to the Council with the required documentation.

For most existing dwellings with on-site waste water systems Council keeps detailed drainage plans to assist in locating on-site wastewater drainage system.