Holding a Public Event?
Well managed community-based events are an important part of our cultural calendar. They promote community pride and spirit, bring people together in an atmosphere of fun, and attract visitors to the region.
Whether you have had previous experience in planning events or are a complete novice, our event management guide(PDF, 5MB)  has been developed to assist you plan a small to medium sized event that is relevant to your community, safe, and with minimal problems.
Council supports community based events by providing information, advice and access to a range of resources, including an annual community grants program .
What do I need to know know about planning a community event?
When planning a community event, the following process should be followed:
- Read the Event Management Guide (PDF, 5MB) to ascertain what will be involved.
- Discuss your idea with others to gain support, and to put together a working group or committee.
- Decide on some of the basic structures of your event, and how you intend to fund it.
- Proceed through your planning, obtaining the necessary permissions (including COVID-19 Safe Event Plan  Recommendation: Submit this plan to Business Tasmania as early as possible).
- At least one month prior to the event, download and submit an Event Application Pack (PDF)  or alternatively complete the application pack online .
- Inclusion of your event on our online Calendar of Events .
- Inclusion in our What’s On poster, which is available at our Visitor Information Centre  located in the paranaple arts centre .
- Social media promotion via the Devonport Events Facebook  page.
- Financial Assistance Scheme Grants : Major, Minor and In Kind Assistance Grants are available.