The Devonport Sport and Recreation Team run low cost physical activities aimed to get the community moving, increase strength and develop community connections.
During Seniors Week 2017, Devonport City Council trialled a fitness program for seniors called: Ageing Stronger, Active Longer. It proved popular and soon became a regular staple class, growing over time to three classes a week with up to 40 people attending at a time!
The low impact sessions are designed to help improve strength, balance and coordination of Senior Citizens.
Sessions include 30-40 minutes of exercise, afternoon tea and occasionally industry guest speakers.
- Tuesdays, 1-2pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Wednesday, 11.30am-12.30pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Wednesdays, 2-3pm at East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre (program on hold)
- Thursdays, 12-1pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Devonport Recreation Centre (Table Tennis Building), 34 Forbes Street, Devonport.
- East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre, 67 Caroline Street, East Devonport.
Phone: 03 6424 4109
Cost: Gold coin donation per person
Ageing Stronger, Active Stronger Dbl Sided Flyer
Devonport City Council’s Sport and Recreation Team have run Tai Chi for Health and Tai Chi for Health – Beginners classes since 2018.
- Are suitable for all levels of fitness
- Improve health and wellness to assist in preventing falls
- Create strength, balance and improve cardiovascular function
- Modernised Tai Chi is easy to learn so quick health benefits are gained.
- Wednesdays, 1-2pm at Devonport Recreation Centre (Beginners Class)
- Wednesdays, 2-3pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Thursdays, 1-2pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
Devonport Recreation Centre Tai Chi and Tai Chi for beginners Dbl sided flyer
A low impact walking group designed to encourage movement and socialising for Senior Citizens. Sessions include 30-45 minutes of stretching, walking and morning tea. Wear sun-smart comfortable clothing, and bring a bottle of water.
Find out availability and location – Phone: 6424 4109
2016 saw Devonport City Council join with East Devonport Child and Family Centre and Youth, Family and Community Connections to provide a family orientated Boot Camp in East Devonport.
Suitable for families with children aged 5-12years of all abilities, the program includes, games, sport, afternoon tea and the occasional special guests.
Children must be supervised by a parent or guardian, and adults are encouraged to participate.
When: Program currently on hold. Usually held – Wednesdays, 3.30-4.30pm East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre – during school terms
Where: East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre, 67 Caroline Street, East Devonport.
Phone: 03 6424 4109