The Devonport Sport and Recreation Team run low cost physical activities aimed to get the community moving, increase strength and develop community connections.
During Seniors Week 2017, Devonport City Council trialled a fitness program for seniors called: Ageing Stronger, Active Longer. It proved popular and soon became a regular staple class, growing over time to three classes a week with up to 40 people attending at a time!
The low impact sessions are designed to help improve strength, balance and coordination of Senior Citizens.
Sessions include 30-40 minutes of exercise, fruit and occasionally industry guest speakers. These sessions are run by the Devonport Sport and Recreation Team and the Instructors from Belgravia Leisure – Splash Devonport Aquatic and Leisure Centre.
- Tuesdays, 1-2pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Wednesday, 11.30am-12.30pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Wednesdays, 2-3pm at East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre (program on hold)
- Thursdays, 12-1pm at Devonport Recreation Centre
- Devonport Recreation Centre (Table Tennis Building), 34 Forbes Street, Devonport.
- East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre, 67 Caroline Street, East Devonport.
Phone: 03 6420 2780
Cost: Gold coin donation per person
Ageing Stronger, Active Stronger Dbl Sided Flyer
2016 saw Devonport City Council join with East Devonport Child and Family Centre and Youth, Family and Community Connections to provide a family orientated Boot Camp in East Devonport.
Suitable for families with children aged 5-12years of all abilities, the program includes, games, sport, afternoon tea and the occasional special guests.
Children must be supervised by a parent or guardian, and adults are encouraged to participate.
When: Program currently on hold. Usually held – Wednesdays, 3.30-4.30pm East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre – during school terms
Where: East Devonport Recreation and Function Centre, 67 Caroline Street, East Devonport.
Phone: 03 6420 2780