Header Logo
- Devonport City Council - https://www.devonport.tas.gov.au -

Justices of the Peace

Contact a JP

Justices of the Peace can sign documents that need an authorised witness.

A JP can witness;

  • affidavits
  • warrants
  • oaths
  • summons, and
  • where it has been explicitly requested, documents can be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Use the Department of Justice website [1] to understand the difference between a Justice of the Peace and a Commissioner for Declarations, and find your nearest Justice of the Peace.  

Interested in becoming a JP?

Find out how to become a Justice of the Peace [2].