Congregational Cemetery/Don Cemetery

Historic and heritage value

The Congregational Cemetery/Don Cemetery is a small burial ground, with the older headstones dating from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The cemetery is one of the oldest in Tasmania. At rest in this historical patch of ground are many of the Don pioneers – many of whom were the original pioneers of the City of Devonport and its surrounding district. The cemetery occupies one acre of land, granted by James Fenton in 1864 and contains many headstones and graves of local significance, for example members of the Henry family including John Henry CMG – member of Parliament and member of the Australian Federal Convention which framed the Australian Constitution. Henry Carter, a prominent Devonport pioneer and land owner; Senator Alexander Lillico; Stephen Priest, a prolific builder in Devonport’s early history are also buried at the site.

Status Closed to further burials except under existing exclusive burial rights
 Local/State/National Significance  Permanently Registered/Tasmanian Heritage Register
 Title Details/Lot No/Heritage Register  Registered site, ref:R8548, FILE 10-66-80HC 211091/1 Property ID 6388640
 Address 207 Stony Rise Road, Devonport
 Public Open Space Classification  Sub regional, family/social/recreational
 Cemetery Type Monumental
 First Recorded Burial 17 October 1865, Elizabeth June and Jane Hodgkiss
 Number of Recorded Burials Unknown – difficult to ascertain due to missing and deterioration of headstones
 Number of Reservations Nil
 Denominations/parish Various

 

 

Related Pages

The below menu items have been tagged as related to the page you’re on.

Get in contact, one of our friendly staff will be happy to help.