Rainwater Tanks

Rainwater Tanks are used by many residents, not only those who are not supplied with town water.

If you are planning to use alternative water supplies for drinking or cooking, the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services provides information regarding all rural water services such as rainwater tanks, groundwater supplies, surface  and dam water for domestic use.

The Australian Government Environmental Health Authority – enHealth has an excellent resource to help maintain the quality of your rain water supply – Guidance on use of Rainwater Tanks.

If you are thinking of installing a rainwater tank you may need to obtain a plumbing permit from Council.  We recommend you contact the Council’s Plumbing Department on 03 6424 0511 for further advice and to obtain the appropriate application form.