PUBLIC EXHIBITION PERIOD EXTENDED UNTIL FRIDAY 12 JUNE 2020
The draft Devonport Local Provisions Schedule (LPS) is now on public exhibition from Monday 23 March 2020 until Friday 12 June 2020. The draft LPS will form part of the single state-wide planning scheme known as the Tasmanian Planning Scheme. Representations are invited on the draft LPS to be received by close of business Friday 12 June 2020.
Through amendments to the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993 (LUPAA), the Tasmanian State Government has legislated for the introduction of a single Statewide planning scheme to be known as the Tasmanian Planning Scheme. The Tasmanian Planning Scheme will replace all existing local council planning schemes in Tasmania.
Each council in Tasmania is required to prepare a Local Provisions Schedule as part of the transition to the Tasmanian Planning Scheme.
In general terms the Tasmanian Planning Scheme will comprise two parts:
- A set of standardised Statewide planning rules called the State Planning Provisions (SPPs) – (administrative provisions, provisions for zones, codes, etc.); and
- A Local Provisions Schedule which contain the zone, code and overlay maps that apply the State Planning Provisions to a local council area.
The Tasmanian Planning Scheme will come into effect for each council once the relevant Local Provisions Schedule is declared/approved for that municipal area.
The Devonport City Council has prepared a draft Local Provisions Schedule (LPS) which proposes how the Tasmanian Planning Scheme will be implemented in the Devonport municipal area. Once the draft LPS is formally approved (following assessment by the Tasmanian Planning Commission and declaration by the Minister for Planning) the Tasmanian Planning Scheme will become operational for the Devonport municipal area and replace the existing Devonport Interim Planning Scheme 2013.
In accordance with the requirements of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993 (LUPAA), the draft LPS (including associated documentation) is made available for public exhibition for a period of 60 days. During the public exhibition period any interested person may inspect and make written representation on the content of the draft LPS.
The links set out below provide access to the information associated with the draft Devonport Local Provisions Schedule (including supporting documentation).
Council encourages any interested person to inspect the draft Devonport LPS documentation, and invites any representations to be received by close of business Friday 12 June 2020.
For further information or enquiries please contact Council’s planning staff on (03) 6424 0511.
- Zone Maps 
- Bushfire-Prone Areas Code 
- Coastal Erosion Hazard Code 
- Coastal Inundation Hazard Code 
- Electricity Transmission Infrastructure Protection Code 
- Landslip Hazard Code 
- Local Historic Heritage Code – Local Heritage Place Overlay 
- Local Historic Heritage Code – Local Heritage Precincts and Local Historic Landscape Precinct 
- Natural Assets Code – Future Coastal Refugia Area Overlay 
- Natural Assets Code – Priority Vegetation Area Overlay 
- Natural Assets Code – Waterway and Coastal Protection Area Overlay 
- Parking and Sustainable Transport Code – Parking Precinct Plan Overlay 
- Safeguarding of Airports Code – Airport Obstacle Limitation Area Overlay 
- Specific Area Plans (SAPs) 
- Local Area Objectives (LAOs) overlays 
The written document component of the draft LPS includes the provisions for localised planning controls that are unique to Devonport (such as Particular Purpose Zones and Specific Area Plans) and also code applying provisions that detail the spatial application of a code (such as local heritage listings).
The provisions under Schedule 6 of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993 enables for the transition of some existing provisions of the current Devonport Interim Planning Scheme 2013 to be included with the draft LPS by means of declaration made by the Minister for Planning. These include existing Particular Purpose Zones and Specific Area Plans, and also code applying provisions (such as existing local heritage listings and local parking area schemes).
- Ministerial correspondence – Approval of Devonport LPS Transitional Provisions Declarations 
- Ministerial Declaration – Schedule 6 Clause 8(4) 
- Ministerial Declaration – Schedule 6 Clause 8D(3) 
- Ministerial Declaration – Schedule 6 Clause 8D(5) 
- Ministerial Notice of Declaration – Schedule 6 Clause 8A(1) 
- Transitional Provisions Clarification Document 
The “Draft Devonport Local Provisions Schedule – Supporting Report ” sets out the information for the preparation and content of the draft LPS including statutory requirements and strategic justifications.
At the direction of the Minister for Planning, the State Planning Provisions (SPPs) were initially prepared by the State Government’s Planning Reform Taskforce in consultation with State agencies, local government and other stakeholders. The preparation, consultation and assessment of the SPPs was carried out in accordance with the legislative requirements established under the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993. This included a statutory public exhibition period between March and May 2016 and further assessment by the Tasmanian Planning Commission (the Commission). The Commission’s assessment of the SPPs included public hearings into the representations received during the public exhibition period. These hearings were held in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie between July and October 2016. Following the Commission’s assessment, the SPPs were declared by the Minister for Planning on 22 February 2017.
Council has prepared the below information sheet to provide some general guidance on making a representation in relation to the draft Devonport LPS. Before making a representation it is encouraged that this advice is read first.
Representations must be a written submission to Council and can be made via email, a letter, or through the online form provided below.
Representations can be made during the public exhibition period. These can be either in support of or against what is proposed by the draft LPS.
Representations can be submitted:
- via the online form ;
- by mail to PO Box 604, Devonport Tasmania 7310; or
- via email to firstname.lastname@example.org 
Please note that representations submitted via email or mail should be addressed to the General Manager and reference the “Draft Devonport Local Provisions Schedule”.
All representations must be received before the close of the public exhibition period on Friday 12 June 2020.
During the public exhibition period Council’s planning staff will be available to provide advice on the draft LPS including proposed zone allocations and the spatial application of overlay mapping.
In addition to the relevant exhibition documents of the draft LPS being made available on Council’s website during the public exhibition period, this documentation is also available for viewing during normal business hours at the Devonport City Council offices at the paranaple centre at 137 Rooke Street, Devonport between 8:45am and 4:45pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.
For further information or enquiries please contact Council’s planning staff on (03) 6424 0511 or via email at email@example.com