Illegal building covers not only new structures and additions, but the change of use of a building, such as turning a shed or garage into a rumpus room or habitable building.
If building work has been started/completed without approval, a Building Notice or Order will be issued to the current owner which will lead to one of the following: Demolition, or Substantial Compliance. The following steps and payment of fees will be required:
- Plans by an accredited designer
- Planning Permit (from Council) may be required – up to 6 weeks for approval
- Building Surveyor Assessment – issue an application for Certificate of Substantial Compliance
- Building and Plumbing Permits (from council)
- Inspections – to be completed by the Building Surveyor and Plumbing Surveyor
- Completion / Legalisation of illegal building work