Illegal Building Works

Illegal building covers not only new structures and additions, but the change of use of a building, such as turning a shed or garage into a rumpus room or habitable building.

If building work has been started/completed without approval, a Building Notice or Order will be issued to the current owner which will lead to one of the following: Demolition, or Substantial Compliance. The following steps and payment of fees will be required:

  • Plans by an accredited designer
  • Planning Permit (from Council) may be required – up to 6 weeks for approval
  • Building Surveyor Assessment – issue an application for Certificate of Substantial Compliance
  • Building and Plumbing Permits  (from council)
  • Inspections – to be completed by the Building Surveyor and Plumbing Surveyor
  • Completion / Legalisation of illegal building work

Related Pages

The below menu items have been tagged as related to the page you’re on.

Get in contact, one of our friendly staff will be happy to help.