Building Surveying and Building Regulatory Control
To view the Owner Builder Guidelines (Building Act 2000) please click here.
Building Surveying Service
The building surveying office ceased taking new applications for the provision of building surveying services in March 2005, following the departure of the Building Inspector. An ongoing service is still being provided in respect of previously approved projects.
Building Regulatory Control
As a result of the introduction of the Building Act 2000, Building Permits are now issued by a Permit Authority Officer, following receipt of a Certificate of Likely Compliance from a Building Surveyor and other documentation as required under the Building Act 2000.
- Process building applications, provide advice and assistance within the requirements of the Building Act 2000.
- Compliance with the Building Act 2000 and the Building Regulations 2004 and to ensure Council's policies and resolutions are being correctly administered.
- Process building applications, which includes the calculation of fees and check for compliance with planning, engineering and public health issues.
- Maintain statistical records for Commonwealth Government departments, State Government and Council.
- Issue appropriate enforcement notices and enforce penalties under relevant Building Control Legislation.
Plumbing Regulatory Control
Devonport City Council has two Plumbing Surveyors within the plumbing control office.
- Process plumbing and drainage applications.
- Provide advice and assistance.
- Ensure that the requirements of Australian Standards, the national plumbing and drainage code and Council's policies and resolutions are being correctly administered.
- Process applications for plumbing and/or drainage works, either in conjunction with building applications, or separately, including the calculation of fees.
- Check for compliance with Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500 plus other relevant codes, regulations and policies.
- Provide locations, as derived from plans, of Council stormwater mains.
- Provide information on location of private property services, where available.
- Administer applications for connections to Council stormwater mains.
- Carry out on site plumbing and drainage inspections and issue appropriate notices and/or certificates.
- Investigate stormwater complaints.
Find out more about stormwater runoff responsibilities.
Stormwater Runoff Responsibilities 2.96 Mb
Note: For water or sewer connection applications or complaints please contact Cradle Mountain Water on 13 69 92
Application for Building & Plumbing Permits
Council is no longer offering a building surveying service for new projects due to lack of staff resources. A service is however still being provided by Council in respect of previously approved building projects. Before submitting plans to a Building Surveyor it is advisable to visit Council's Development Services - Planning Office for staff to assess whether the building application would require a Planning Permit.
Prior to applying for a building permit customers are required to retain a building surveying firm to assess their documents and provide them with a Certificate of Likely Compliance. The applicant then usually forwards all the documents onto Council for lodging and payment of fees. Staff check the application for compliance with planning, health and engineering issues prior to issuing a Building Permit.
Building Permit Application 99.14 Kb Plumbing Permit Application 91.01 Kb
Form 33 Cert of Plumbing Compliance
Documents Required when Submitting a Building Application
Schedule of Fees
Schedule of Fees