Live and Learn
In 2015, Council adopted the Devonport Community Live and Learn Strategy and an associated Live and Learn Steering Group.
The Strategy, developed by over 150 representatives from the education, community, industry, youth and government sectors, aims to improve the learning, training and employment outcomes for the community, establishing a solid foundation of life-long learning which is expected to influence the future development, enterprise and innovation in the region.
The Group’s roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Ensure strategic direction is aligned with the goals, objectives and actions of the Live and Learn Strategy
- Develop, implement and review annual action plans that deliver on the goals and objectives of the Live and Learn Strategy
- Ensure working groups and projects make good use of assets and is making sensible financial decisions
- Assist with resolving strategic level issues and risks
- Assess progress and reports on progress to partners and the general community
- Provide advice and guidance on issues in relation to learning for all
- Provide advice and guidance on opportunities that will improve learning for all
- Use influence and authority to assist in achieving outcomes and advocating for learning for all
- Pursue options to resource implementation of Live and Learn Strategy actions (partnerships, sponsorship, grants etc.)
- Review and evaluate actions, objectives and goals
Members of the Live and Learn Steering Group include representatives from:
- Devonport Chaplaincy Inc.
- The University of Tasmania
- Don College
- The Peter Underwood Centre for Educational Attainment
- Libraries Tasmania
- Devonport Community House
- B4 Early Years Coalition
- SAVii Consultancy and Project Management
- Client Services NW Department of State Growth
The Steering Group coordinate an annual month-long event the “Festival of Learning” which runs during the month of September each year. The Festival celebrates the many learning opportunities available in Devonport.
2018 Festival of Learning
The Devonport Festival of Learning 2018 event occurred in September. Excitement continues to grow for the Devonport Festival of Learning following on from the success of the 2016, 2017 and 2018 festivals.
The Festival of Learning celebrates and showcases learning across the Devonport City with over 100 events on offer spread across 30 days of learning and catering to all ages and stages of life, early years, school years, young adults, adults and, seniors. The Festival embraces learning in the many different formats it comes in, formal & informal, inside & outside, with activities provided by different organisations and individuals.
The 2018 Festival opened with a Festival Launch and Expo at Providore Place on the 31st August. During this day there was over 20 stallholders providing information and hands on activities about learning. Other key Festival activities included a day of wondering in East Devonport at the How Bazaar Expo where the answer to many a question was discovered and a culminating activity in the paranaple conference centre where a panel led by Prof Richard Eccleston discussed the future of learning, skills and engagement along with a celebration of learning where individuals told their stories.