Devonport Community Safety Special Interest Group
The Devonport Community Safety Special Interest Group meets bi-monthly and works collectively to deliver actions from the Community Safety Strategy.
The Group was convened in 2002 to develop and implement a range of crime prevention and community safety initiatives. They also:
- Identify the strategic needs/issues and provide advice on the direction of community safety policies, programs and services;
- Promote and support early intervention, diversion and crime prevention programs, with children, youth, seniors and families;
- Support activities that encourage safe and responsible community behaviour and reduce the fear of crime;
- Assist with the promotion of community safety initiatives and information in Devonport to residents and visitors;
- Actively assist with the development of existing and proposed partnerships, encouraging a collaborative approach to making Devonport a safe place to live and visit;
- Support the Council and other group member organisations in their efforts to attract funding and other resources in accordance with identified needs and the strategic direction;
- Encourage the sharing of information, skills, knowledge and resources; and encourage continuous learning to improve community safety.
The Alderman representative on the Devonport Community Safety Special Interest Group is Mayor Steve Martin.