How to Apply
This guide has been designed to help you understand our recruitment process and provide you with some tips and ideas for completing your application.
Before submitting an application you should also read the Position Description for the role for which you are applying, which can be found on the Employment Opportunities page.
Preparing your Application
Your application should include the following information:
- A completed Job Application Form (available on the Employment Opportunities page)
- A current resume
- A cover letter (optional)
Addressing the Selection Criteria
The majority of positions at Council require candidates to address the Selection Criteria.
Applications that do not address the Selection Criteria when required may be eliminated from the recruitment process.
The Selection Criteria sets out the skills, experience, qualifications and abilities that we are looking for in applicants for the role. This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate how you meet the requirements and to expand on your resume.
The most important aspect of responding to the Selection Criteria is to provide evidence of proof using relevant examples to support your claims. One way to do this is to use the STAR model:
- Situation - Outline the situation or setting, what was the context?
- Task - What was your role? What did you have to do?
- Actions - What did you do and how did you do it?
- Results - What did you achieve? What were the results of what you did and how does it relate to the position you are applying for?
A short, simple paragraph for each criterion is all that is required.
Shortlisting of applicants to attend an interview is based on how your skills, qualifications and knowledge match those required in the Position Description.
Your resume is a history of your employment and work experience and should include the following:
- Contact details
- Employment history (most recent experience listed first), detailing period of employment, positions held and responsibilities.
- Educational qualifications, training courses, work tickets, licences and professional affiliations which are relevant to the position.
Should you wish to provide any supporting documentation such as certificates, licences and references, please do not attach originals.
Sending your Application:
Employment applications can be submitted in writing, via email or online through the relevant job link on the Employment Opportunities page.
Ensure that you submit your application before the closing date, as late applications will not be accepted unless prior arrangements have been made.
All written applications should be addressed to:
Devonport City Council
PO Box 604, Devonport, TAS 7310
The estimated timeline for Council's recruitment process is around seven (7) weeks in total, comprising:
- Advertising - 2 weeks
- Shortlisting - 1 to 2 weeks
- Interviews - 1 to 2 weeks
- Offer of Employment - 1 week
- Shortlist - after the closing date, applications will be reviewed and shortlisted. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone and invited to attend an interview.
- Interview - the interview will consist of a panel of a minimum of two employees, who will ask a series of questions based on the selection criteria. You may be asked to provide examples of previous work or undertake appropriate skills tests.
- Pre-employment Checks - positions with Council are subject to standard pre-employment checks. Depending on the requirements of the position they could include referee checks, national police checks, working with children checks, pre-employment health assessments (including drug & alcohol tests), qualification checks and Australian work eligibility checks.
- Notification - once a decision has been made, the successful applicant will be offered the position verbally, followed by a written offer. Interviewed applicants will be notified in writing after the successful applicant has been appointed. All unsuccessful applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application in writing.
Council is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring fair, equitable and non-discriminatory consideration is given to all applicants.
Thank you for considering employment with Devonport City Council.